• FAQ’s: The Criminal Justice System

    Author : The Blanch Law Firm May 28, 2014

    At The Blanch Law Firm, our criminal defense attorney team works tirelessly to represent the best interests of our clients. Our successful track record of keeping our clients our of prison is due in large part to the results driven defense strategy we apply to every case. The Blanch Law Firm assigns five or more members of our criminal defense attorney team to every client, assuring a 360 degree view of the case and the best results possible.Many clients have questions regarding the criminal justice process and the criminal justice system, below are some quick answers for you to review. For more information, Contact the Criminal Defense Attorney team at The Blanch Law Firm today.


    How long between arrest and arraignment?

    The length of time between arrest and arraignment is usually 24 hours.

    Is my family allowed to visit me?

    No, family members are not entitled to visit a defendant while in police custody unless the defendant is a juvenile (under 16 years of age).To  contact a Criminal Defense Attorney call (888) 8 BLANCH.

    Do you have more information regarding bail?

    For information on bail bonds you may call 212-736-5170.It is best to pay bail at the correctional facility where the person is being held; however, bail may be paid at any of the following correctional facilities. For further information on inmates, bail, visiting hours, and travel directions call (718) 546-0700. * Bronx House of Detention653 River Avenue, Bronx, NY 10451* Brooklyn House of Detention275 Atlantic Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11201* Manhattan House of Detention (The Tombs)125 White Street, New York, NY 10013* Queens House of Detention126-02 82nd Avenue, Queens, NY 11415* Riker's Island11-11 Hazen Avenue, East Elmhurst, NY 11370A defendant can be released from the courtroom, if you post bail when the person actually appears before the court. Notify the court clerk of your intention to pay bail. The clerk will direct you to the cashier's office in that county.An order is enforceable, in any state, even if it has not been entered onto the New York State Family Protection Registry. The federal Violence Against Women Act (18USC §2265) requires that each state give full faith and credit to orders of protection issued by courts of any state. If you have an order of protection from a state other than New York and wish to have it entered into the New York State Family Protection Registry, you may do so by bringing a copy of the order to any of the following New York City Criminal Court locations:* New York County100 Centre Street, New York, NY 10013Room 134 - Monday - Friday, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.Arraignment Office - evenings, holidays and weekends* Bronx County215 East 161st Street, Bronx, NY 10451Arraignment Office - Monday - Friday, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. as well as evenings, holidays and weekends* Kings County120 Schermerhorn Street, Brooklyn , NY 11210Room 510 - Monday - Friday, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.Arraignment Office - evenings, holidays and weekends* Queens County125-01 Queens Boulevard, Kew Gardens, NY 11415Room G-78 - Monday - Friday, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.Arraignment Office - evenings, holidays and weekends* Richmond County67 Targee Street, Staten Island, New York 10304Central Clerk's Office (1st Floor) - Monday - Friday, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.* FOR MORE INFORMATION CALL 212-736-5170To obtain a copy of your Criminal History Report (rap sheet) report to one of the following:* Legal Action Center, 153 Waverly Place, New York, NY (212) 243-1313. Requests for copies of Criminal History Reports (rap sheets) should be made on the last Monday of the month.* Police Headquarters, 1 Police Plaza, New York, NY and request an "Albany Package". At Police Headquarters you will be fingerprinted. There is a fee of $15.00 (money orders only) for fingerprinting. It is the responsibility of the person requesting the Criminal History Report (rap sheet) to send the fingerprints, the form provided in the "Albany Package", and a money order for the processing fee to Albany.

    What is a warrant?

    A warrant can only be cleared/vacated by a defendant's appearance before a judge. The defendant must go to the central clerk's office in the county where his/her case is being heard. The defendant must have the following information: full name and date of birth, or date of arrest, or docket number.Court calendars / Appearance lists / Alpha lists (Alphabetical list of defendants) are posted daily in the lobby of each courthouse. Defendants are listed by either docket number or name. If the defendant's name does not appear on the calendar, go to the central clerk's office.If you missed your court date, Contact your attorney and report to the central clerk's office in the borough your case was scheduled.To request a Certificate of Disposition bring the following items to the central clerk's office in the county in which your case was filed: docket number, or defendant's full name and date of birth, or date of arrest; picture I.D.; $10.00 (exact change only). If requesting a disposition for a defendant who has a sealed case, you must attach a notarized letter from the defendant giving permission to release the disposition.Fines, Mandatory Surcharges and the Crime Victim Assistance Fee are paid according to the status of your case.* If you have an adjourned date to pay your fine or surcharge or crime victim assistance fee and you want to pay before the scheduled date, you can do so by going to the Clerk's Office of the part where your case is pending.* If you have an adjourned date to pay your fine or surcharge or crime victim assistance fee, you must return to court on that date even if you do not have the money.* If you have not been assigned a court date on which to pay your fine, surcharge, crime victim assistance fee or you failed to report on your assigned date, report to the central clerk's office.* If you paid the monies before your scheduled adjourned date, you do not have to return on that day.Generally bail money is returned to the owner once the case is concluded. A notice to release bail should be issued from the court room on the same day the court case is finished. There are no checks issued from the court. If you haven't received your bail money within four to six weeks from the last court date, contact NYC Finance Dept., 1 Centre Street Room 2200, New York, NY or call (212) 669-2879.A Certificate of Good Conduct can be requested at Police Headquarters, 1 Police Plaza, New York, N.Y. You must report to the above address with a passport or other form of photo identification, and a money order for $30.00 to cover the processing fee.To apply for a Certificate of Relief from Civil Disabilities, obtain a form from the central clerk's office in the county in which your case was filed. The form must be completed, notarized, and returned. Your case then will be added to the daily calendar. You may be required to undergo a Probation investigation prior to a ruling on the request.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *